The building of the Slovak National Museum was originally built for the purposes of the Agricultural Museum (1924 – 1940), as a branch of the Czechoslovak Agricultural Museum (1924 – 1928). The present Slovak National Museum in Bratislava, which was established in 1961 as a merger of the Slovak Museum and the Slovak National Museum in Martin, continued in the activity of this institution.

The building was built between 1924 – 1928 according to the design of Michal Milan Harminc (*October 7, 1869, in Kulpin, Serbia † July 5, 1964, in Bratislava) one of the most active members of the first generation of Slovak architects. He designed 300 buildings all over Europe including 171 in Slovakia. As a remarkable object on the Danube embankment, the museum building belongs to the small amount of well preserved representatives of the official architecture of the 1920´s in Slovakia. F. Uprka is the author of the decoration on the facade, bronze panels of the entrance doors were made by S. Paukert. The exhibits were inaugurated on May 4, 1930. At the end of the Second World War, during the liberation of Bratislava, the building was damaged in an air raid. Reconstruction after the war was conducted by the architect M. M. Harminc himself.

At present it is the seat of the Management of the SNM and the Natural History Museum. With its collections of approximately 2.4 million objects, it ranks among the biggest institutions of its kind in Slovakia. Permanent exhibitions are presented to the general public on the second and third floors. The museum library is situated on the third floor and is used for presentation study only. The ground and the first floors are used for exhibition purposes.